In October 1885, fifty prominent citizens of Boston convened for the purpose of discussing the formation of a new social club. Five months later, on March 9, 1886, by a special act of the Senate and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Algonquin Club was incorporated. For a time, the new club occupied quarters at the Crowninshield mansion at 164 Marlborough Street.


Land was purchased at 217 Commonwealth Avenue and the leading architectural firm of the day, McKim, Mead & White of New York (designers of the Boston Public Library and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, as well as other notable buildings in other cities) was selected to design the new clubhouse after a spirited competition. On November 8, 1888, the magnificent Algonquin Club of Boston was formally opened amidst "fitting ceremonies". The Boston Globe reported the next day that the formal opening was attended by some 2,000 members and guests from the ranks of the East Coast's most prominent and renowned individuals, thus inaugurating a century and a quarter of tradition, exquisite dining and impeccable service. Over the years, Presidents, heads of state, foreign dignitaries and preeminent local and national leaders in virtually every field of human activity have enjoyed visiting the Club.



Today, the Algonquin Club of Boston has maintained the same charm and attention to service that made it so attractive on its opening day, while evolving through times of prosperity and hardship, as well as great change. The decades since World War II have witnessed a profound altering of the social landscape for the betterment of all citizens, and increasingly so in more recent decades. The Algonquin Club of Boston, founded by individuals who valued accomplishment over inherited status, embraces the 21st Century's accelerating pace of change and at the same time seeks to preserve the best of the past for the enjoyment of its membership comprised of men and women of distinction.